LOST ARCHITECTURE

Recent Losses.

Since the publication of the Mid-Century Modern Architectural Resources survey, several buildings that were included on it have been demolished.

KRZY Radio Station Interior Brady LaVign

PHOTO: Brady LaVigne

KRZY Radio Station

ARCHITECT: Unknown

CONTRACTOR: Unknown

YEAR: 1965

DEMOLISHED: 2020

Completed in 1965 for the Burroughs Broadcasting Co., the former KRZY radio station was located on the corner of Quincy Street. The consensus of historic planners was that it appeared to be architect-designed, however, no records have surfaced to reveal its provenance. Construction was overseen by an employee of the broadcasting company, based in Santa Fe. The building sat abandoned following its failure as a draperies store.

In its deteriorated condition, it is unknown if restoration and reuse were possible. The City Council voted to demolish the structure before a thorough investor-paid evaluation could take place. However, fire damage and code compliance would have posed challenges. The building had a poured concrete lower level, with an upper floor of post and beam.

RESOURCES

Pre 2013 Losses.

Some modernist properties were demolished before they could be evaluated as historic. Whether abandoned, sold to redevelopers, or torn down for replacement, these properties are much missed.

PHOTO: Nancy Tucker Postcard Collection

Albuquerque Civic Auditorium

ARCHITECT: Ferguson, Stevens & Associates

CONTRACTOR: Lembe, Clough, King

YEAR: 1957

DEMOLISHED: 1986

RESOURCES

Trade Winds Motor Hotel

ARCHITECT: Irving Coryell

CONTRACTOR: K.L. House Construction Co.

YEAR: 1958

DEMOLISHED: 2009

This Googie motel, opened just in time for the 1958 New Mexico State Fair, was the height of Route 66 luxury. The entrance to the 83-room motor hotel's lobby featured steel beam supports forming a modernist porte-cochère. It was declared a nuisance property and demolished by the Safe City Strike Force in 2009.

RESOURCES

White Winrock Hotel

ARCHITECT: Victor Gruen & Associates

CONTRACTOR: Pickens & Bond

YEAR: 1962

DEMOLISHED: 2012

The hotel was named for its owner, the J.L. White Corporation, though it was managed by and operated by Winrock Enterprises. At the time of its closing, it was known as the Winrock Inn. The hotel makes a brief appearance in American International Pictures' 1971 release, Bunny O'Hare.

RESOURCES

Five Points Bank

ARCHITECT: Flatow, Moore, Bryan & Fairburn

CONTRACTOR: Unknown

YEAR: 1960

DEMOLISHED: Unknown

This 'ultra-modern' bank branch was operated by the Bank of New Mexico. Little is known about the building, which appears in photos to have been a triangular edifice set on a triangular site. With windows facing south and east, the interior space may have been flooded with natural light. Nothing remains on the site today. This footage was found in the Albuquerque Museum's collection of b-roll footage from the KRQE television station.

RESOURCES

Office of Flatow & Moore, Architects

ARCHITECT: Max Flatow

CONTRACTOR: Lembke Construction Co.

YEAR: 1949

DEMOLISHED: Unknown

This butterfly-roofed office building once stood near the southwest corner of Lomas and Yale. Considered by Edna Heatherington-Bergman as 'an advertisement for an architect' and George Pearl as, "the best thing (Flatow and Moore) have done," all that is left of the 'old Flatow office' are some steps leading where it once stood. The architectural firm relocated to the 16th floor of the First National Bank Tower East upon its opening in 1963.

RESOURCES

Contact Us

Please know that our all-volunteer team is actively working towards expanding the organization's efforts and outcomes and may not be available to respond to your question or comments right away. However, we look forward to hearing from you and replying when we're next available.

ADDRESS

PO BOX 81082

Albuquerque, NM 87198

EMAIL

© 2020 Modern Albuqerque